Trump Threatens to Cut Federal Funding to Michigan Over Mail-in Ballots

President Trump threatened to “hold up funding” for Michigan and Nevada if the states follow through with initiatives to residents to cast mail-in or absentee ballots for upcoming elections.

“Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election. This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State,” the president wrote on Twitter Wednesday morning. “I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!”

A little more than an hour later, Trump lashed out at Nevada for its plan to allow mail-in voting.

“State of Nevada ‘thinks’ that they can send out illegal vote by mail ballots, creating a great Voter Fraud scenario for the State and the U.S. They can’t! If they do, ‘I think’ I can hold up funds to the State. Sorry, but you must not cheat in elections,” the president wrote.

Trump has previously warned that allowing people to vote in ways other than in person could lead to rampant fraud – as Democrats pursue other alternatives because of health risks during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Mail ballots — they cheat. OK? People cheat,” he said last month. “There’s a lot of dishonesty going along with mail-in voting.”

His post comes a day after Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson said the absentee ballot applications will be sent to all of the state’s 7.7 registered voters so they can participate in the August and November elections without appearing in person, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Benson, a Democrat, said she made the move because of the risks associated with the coronavirus, which has killed nearly 5,000 people in Michigan.

She said the likelihood of people becoming ill because of the virus is still too great for people to show up as a group in the Aug. 4 and Nov. 3 elections.

“By mailing applications we have ensured that no Michigander has to choose between their health and their right to vote,” Benson said, according to the newspaper.

Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske said…

Continue reading at NYPOST.com

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Newsletter

 Sign up now to receive our Daily Newsletters, straight to your inbox.